What do you think those are for?
What do you think those are for? Bring your elementary age children to your local library in July and find out in “Leap into Science”. Join educator Tara Tolton to ask and answer questions like scientists do. Together, your family will use books to learn information about a scientific topic, make observations and predictions, and then conduct science experiments featuring sound and music to investigate the answers. It is free to attend the program. Please check with your local library to find out if registration is required.
“Leap into Science” is modeled after the successful museum/library partnership between by The Franklin Institute and the Free Library of Philadelphia. “We want to ignite the flame of inquiry-based learning, one of the foundations of scientific thinking,” says York County Libraries Youth Services Director Paula Gilbert. “Our local ‘Leap into Science’ program gives children the opportunity to ask questions and pursue answers to self-initiated questions.”
According to Gilbert, York County Libraries’ program engages parents and children in a quality learning experience that pairs hands-on science activities and relevant books for children. “Books often spark exploration, allowing children to ask questions about the world around them and use the scientific process to find the answers,” says York County Libraries President Robert F. Lambert. “Integrating literacy-based science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) opportunities into our libraries allows children to sharpen their critical thinking skills and fosters a lifelong love of reading and learning. ‘Leap into Science’ is a great example of literacy-based STEM programming available in York County Libraries.”
Join us for Leap into Science:
Thursday, July 12, 10:00 am to 11:00 am in York City at Martin Library
Leap into Science at these libraries:
Can’t make it to Martin? Leap into Science at another YCL location. Here’s a quick look at the July program schedule.
- Thursday, July 5, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Hanover at Guthrie Library
- Friday, July 6, 10:30 am to 11:30 am at Dover Area Community Library
- Monday, July 9, 10:30 am to 11:30 am in Stewartstown at Mason-Dixon Public Library
- Wednesday, July 11, 10:30 am to 11:30 am in Jacobus at Village Library
- Thursday, July 12, 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm in Brogue at Collinsville Community Library
- Wednesday, July 25, 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm in Red Lion at Kaltreider-Benfer Library
- Thursday, July 26, 10:30 am to 11:30 am in Dillsburg at Dillsburg Area Public Library