Because librarians are mentors…
What is the Youth Empowerment Summit?
The Youth Empowerment Summit (YES) is a special event for York County Students in grades 9-12. This annual summit is created by the Teen Leadership Committee– a group comprised of hard-working teens dedicated to encouraging growth in others.
The Youth Empowerment Summit is filled with great activities to get teens writing the next page in their life. As of 2021, YES is in its 15th year and continues to offer a unique, once-a-year chance to let teens see all the opportunities that lie ahead.
YES 2021’s theme is surrounding the topic of Immigration. The Teen Leadership Committee chooses the theme each year.
Our featured Young Adult author and keynote speaker will be announced soon! Check back for more details.
A Day Full of Opportunities
Besides the chance to hear the keynote speaker, there are lots of other things to do during the day. Some of those things include:
- Registration (Free Book & T-shirt!*)
- Breakout Workshops
- Keynote speaker
- Information Session
- Connect with like-minded teens across the county
- Opportunities to explore your interests (including college and career prep, workshop subject areas, and more!)
*Provided after the event
While registering for YES, students will choose from a variety of workshops to meet their individual interests. Some of these get everyone up and moving, and others delve into 21st century technology. Others build crucial life skills. They are new every year!
In the past, YES has held workshops in subjects such as:
- Planning for college or post-high school education
- Understanding financial aid for college
- Developing writing skills
- Public speaking
- Local business demonstrations
- Health issues for teens
- Various other topics, selected by the Teen Leadership Committee
Workshops are led by community leaders such as legislators, business owners, advocates, teens, nonprofit employees and volunteers, and local college and tech professors.
The day and everything in it is FREE for attendees.