Give back to your library by volunteering
Give the gift of time and knowledge!
If you are a teen or adult age 13 or older we would love to have you join our volunteer team! Our libraries would not be the same without volunteers. This core of exceptional individuals help with everything from clerical support to shelving books to assisting with children’s programming. Volunteers serve at all 13 of our libraries and in several of our behind-the-scenes departments!
We need you!
You have special skills and talents that can enrich the lives of the community members we serve! By giving the gift of time and knowledge there are many things you can accomplish as a volunteer, including:
- Assisting staff to make Story Time special for children
- Assisting members with finding books and materials
- Supporting new parents as they teach babies about books
- Keeping the libraries clean
- Assisting with shelving and item organization
- Working at our Customer Service desks
- Managing Book Sales
Volunteers can also become involved with a Friends of the Library group to raise funds and awareness of Library needs! View our Become a Friend page for more details.
How do I volunteer?
To volunteer at a York County Library, please submit our online Volunteer Application.
Volunteer clearances must be submitted on or before the first day of volunteering and are to be dated within 5 years of your start date. If you are 18 or older, you will need the following clearances to volunteer for a York County Library:
- Pennsylvania State Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Criminal History Record Check
- FBI Fingerprint Based Criminal Record Check (Required for applicants who have lived outside of Pennsylvania in the past 10 years)
These background checks are meant to ensure the safety of all children in the library community. Prospective volunteers are responsible for covering any costs involved in obtaining these clearances.
For more information about obtaining clearances, click on the Volunteer Clearances Form for step-by-step instructions.
Please obtain all of your clearances before you schedule a volunteer interview. These must be submitted at the time of your interview.
If you need further assistance, please contact Amanda Leckrone via email at [email protected].