Leap Year occurs because there isn’t actually 365 days in a year but rather 365.242190. To compensate for this extra time, an extra day is added to our calendar once every 4 years.
Here are some Fun Ways you and the kids can celebrate Leap Day!
- Have your kids write a letter to themselves to be opened in 4 years on the next Leap Day.
- Frogs are associated with Leap Day. You can play a game of Leap Frog or Pin the Kiss on the Frog! You can make a frog puppet!
- If you are born on Feb 29, consider joining the Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies via their Facebook Group.
- Make a Leap Day Time Capsule.
- Watch the movie “Leap Year” available at YCL!
We hope you have Fun with this “Extra Day”
~Paul Smith Library Assistant