June is Pride Month
June is LGBTQIA+ Pride Month. (Wondering why June? See our blog on the history behind the month here.) LGBTQIA+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning/queer, intersex, asexual, and the “plus sign” encompasses other genders and identities.
Explore our Tool:
Below, we’ve built an interactive tool to help you start exploring Pride month. (Scroll down for the tool!)
- Choose Local Events to find local Pride and LGBTQ+ friendly events
- Explore the “Books” tabs to find age-appropriate books to help parents navigate questions from children, and award-winning books for teens chosen by our experts
- The “book lists” includes online access to resources such as Hoopla, which includes books, TV shows, movies, and more
- Local resources offer places nearby where you can be yourself!
This tool is intended to help anyone, whether LGBTQIA+ or not, better understand members of our community.
Need help finding a book? Read professional reviews on the “Reviews” tab in YCL catalog records; in the Books & Authors Gale Database; and in the online resources NoveList K-8 Plus and NoveList Plus (all FREE with your YCL card). Professional, independent websites such as Kirkus are also a good resource!
- To access databases using your YCL card, simply enter your library card number under “username” and re-type the last 4 digits of your library card as the password.