Temporary Service Change
Several York County Libraries will shift to offering Grab & Go and online services only starting Thursday, January 6, 2022. Some locations will continue to offer in-library services. The temporary service change is in response to the significant increase of COVID-19 cases locally and nationwide. Throughout the pandemic, YCL has adjusted services as needed with the health and safety of members and staff in mind.
Key things to know…
Place a Hold:
- YCL members can place holds online or by phoning the library.
- The library emails members when items are ready for pick up.
- Depending on the library location, the Grab & Go service can be in the library’s lobby, on the porch, or curbside.
- Extensive online services are available.
- Cardholders have access to over 80,000 digital books, audiobooks, music, comics and movies for free.
- Many in-library programs are temporarily suspended, but members can find digital story times and more on YCL’s YouTube channel. Check the calendar for upcoming programs on Zoom, YouTube, or Discord.
- Members can continue using library book drops to return borrowed materials.
- Visitors, age two and older, should wear masks or appropriate face coverings when picking up materials.
- Anyone who is unable to wear a mask, should contact their library to discuss alternative service options.
Starting January 6, 2022
Services Available at All YCL Locations:
- Pickup of library materials placed on hold
- 3-week loan period for books and audiobooks
- Interlibrary loan from other library systems
- New materials arriving regularly
- Book return to book drops
Health & Safety Measures:
- Masks/face coverings should be worn *must fit & cover mouth & nose
- Hand sanitizer supplied for member use at libraries
- Social distancing measures and occupancy limits in pickup area
- Plastic barriers and frequent cleaning of high-touch areas
Availability varies by location:
Items & Services
- Book Bundles
- Grab & Go Kits – crafts for kids and teens
- Book recommendation service by phone
- Pickup of hotspots placed on hold* – rental fee $30 for 3 weeks
- Pickup of DVDs – rental fee $2 for 1 week
- Magazines are available for check out
- At-library payments and donations
- Township Office delivery service available for Manchester and Springettsbury Township residents
*Mobile Hotspots will be available for Hold starting January 10.
|Amenities Available by Location:||
||Dillsburg Area Public Library||Guthrie Memorial Library (Hanover)||
Kaltreider-Benfer Library (Red Lion)
Mason-Dixon Area Public Library (Stewartstown)
|Paul Smith Library of Southern York County (Shrewsbury)|
|Grab & Go Item Pickup||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Meeting Room Rentals||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
Yes – Items must be emailed to library in advance
Yes – Visitors are allotted five minutes on computer to print items
|Outdoor Wi-Fi Access||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|In-Person Programs||No||Yes||Yes — Limited||No||No||No|
|Service by Phone||
|Accepting Cash Payment of Fines||
*Martin Library is not accepting cash payment
- Online Holds
- Over 80,000 Digital eBooks, Audiobooks, Movies, Music, & Comics
- Over 80 Online Resources
- K-12 learning resources for students, parents, and teachers
- Digital Story Times, crafts, and programs for children on YCL’s YouTube channel
- Video on Demand programs, book discussions, and author events for adults on YCL’s YouTube channel.
- Discord Server and online activities for teens
- Request a Library Card
- Online Payments & Donations
- Account Management
- Need help or have questions? Please contact us.
Hours and service offerings are subject to change in tandem with significant increases or decreases in York County COVID-19 cases. For your library’s current hours, please visit their webpage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
We made the temporary service change in response to the significant increase of COVID-19 cases locally and nationwide. Throughout the pandemic, our libraries have taken extra measures to provide members and staff with a safe and healthy library environment.
Some locations will continue to be open for browsing.
During this temporary service change, public access computers are available at several locations. See above for details.
Borrowing Materials & Holds
Some library locations are offering themed book bundles. Check with your library about availability.
Grab & Go pickup is available at all York County Libraries. Here is how it works:
- On the YCL website, use your account to place a hold on the library books or audiobooks that you would like to borrow. Be sure to select the library location where you would like to pick up the items.
- The library will email you when your items are ready for pickup.
- Follow your library’s instructions for lobby, curbside, or porch pickup.
- You can have up to 10 holds at a time on your library card.
Yes, please do. Members, age two and older, must wear an appropriate fitting mask that covers the nose and mouth during pickup.
Our staff can provide you with alternative curbside or online services to meet your needs. Talk with your library’s director or circulation desk staff to find the best option for you.
Please return them to the library’s book drop.