YCL is PA Forward!
What’s PA Forward? It’s a state-wide library program that supports learning in five key areas. Almost half of York County Libraries are actively pursuing different “star” levels of achievement.
The Five PA Forward Literacies
- Basic literacy helps you understand reading and writing. Thirteen percent of Pennsylvanians lack basic literacy skills such as the ability to read a newspaper or brochure. Source.
- Information literacy helps you learn about technology and how to find good information in a digital world. Nearly three-quarters of job seekers now use the Internet to seek employment. Source.
- Civic & Social literacy gives you the tools to connect and contribute to your government, history and the arts, and other people. Only 55% of all Americans know that Congress shares authority over U.S. foreign policy with the President. Source.
- Health literacy helps you navigate your physical health, your health care options, and your family’s well-being. Nothing – not age, income, employment status, education level, or racial and ethnic background – affects health status more than literacy skills. Source.
- Financial literacy helps you make informed decisions about employment, budgeting, and money. Proficient readers are 2.5 times as likely as basic readers to be earning $850 or more a week. Source.
York County Library Stars
- Dillsburg Area Public Library has its Bronze Star—the first level!
- Red Land Community Library and Paul Smith Library of Southern York County both have achieved Silver Star level—on their way to Gold!
- Guthrie Memorial Library, Martin Library, and now Collinsville Community Library are all Gold Star libraries—the highest level!
Explore our programs here: www.yorklibraries.org/events/
You can also find books on these subjects in our catalog, or ask a librarian to help you learn more about these subjects!