A Celebration of Poetry contest is offically underway! The annual contest is open to York and Adams County students in grades one through twelve. Interested youth can submit one original poem into the contest anytime now through Friday, January 11. The entries will be judged by a panel of local educators and poets with first, second, and third place winners selected in the following age groups: Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6, Grades 7-8, Grades 9-10, and Grades 11-12.
The winning poems will be published on YCL’s website and in a booklet added to the York County Libraries’ collection. Winners will be invited to read their poetry during the Celebration of Poetry event at Martin Library on Wednesday, April 3. The celebration event is open to everyone…entrants, winners, families, friends and library members who love poetry!
Ready to enter A Celebration of Poetry Contest? Here’s how:
- Write an original poem in your style of choice.
- Create the poem on your own and not as part of a group or collaboration.
- Type or neatly print your poem.
- Do not put your contact information directly on your poem. Include it on your entry form or email. **This is part of our fair judging process.
- Keep a copy for your records as your entry will not be returned.
How to Submit:
- Online – Fill out the entry form here, attach your poem and submit.
- Email – Send an email with your entry information and attached poem as a .docx or pdf file. Be sure to include the student name, parent name, parent phone, email, school name and grade, and teacher name in your email.
- Mail – Send completed Celebration of Poetry Entry Form and poem to Martin Library, Attn: Teen Forum, 159 E. Market Street, York, PA 17401
- Drop off – Take your Celebration of Poetry Entry Form and poem to Martin Library Children’s Library, 159 E. Market Street, York, PA 17401
Happy Writing and Good Luck!