Because expressing yourself is brave…
Share your poetry with the community during our Celebration of Poetry 2020!
We celebrate our newest poets right here in south central Pennsylvania!
Each year, we ask students from across York and Adams Counties to submit their best poems for our annual Celebration of Poetry. The judges read dozens of entries in six different age brackets:
- Grades 1-2
- Grades 3-4
- Grades 5-6
- Grades 7-8
- Grades 9-10
- Grades 11-12
Let your creativity soar! Previous poem entries have included themes of nature, people, trips, and the universe!
Want to see who won last year?
Download a printable copy of the 2019 “A Celebration of Poetry” book here.
Congratulations to all of our 2019 winners, and a huge thank you to all who entered—please keep writing and sharing your work with the world. The world needs its poets and artists!
Ready for 2020?
There will be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place winner in each age bracket. A compilation of winning poems will be added to the collection at York County Libraries. Winning submissions will be added to this page shortly after the celebration in April.
2020 important dates
- Final submissions due Friday, January 24, 2020
- Celebration of Poetry will be held on Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 5:00 PM at Martin Library – all are welcome to attend!
Guidelines for Submission
- Entrants must be between Grades 1-12
- Entrants may submit one original poem in the style of their choice
- Poems must be the work of an individual, and not a group or collaboration
- Poems should be typed or neatly printed
- Contact information should not be included directly on the poem – include it on your entry form or email **This is part of our fair judging process
- Any accompanying artwork must be original
- Poems will become the property of York County Libraries and will not be returned, so please keep a copy of your poem for yourself
How to Submit:
- Online – fill out the entry form below, attach your poem and submit.
- Email – Send an email with your entry information and attached poem as a .docx or pdf file. Be sure to include the student name, parent name, parent phone, email, school name and grade, and teacher name in your email.
- Mail – Send completed 2020 Celebration of Poetry Entry Form and poem to Martin Library, Attn: Teen Forum, 159 E. Market Street, York, PA 17401
- Drop off – Take your 2020 Celebration of Poetry Entry Form and poem to Martin Library ’s Children’s Library, 159 E. Market Street, York, PA 17401
For additional information email [email protected]
Sorry, this form is no longer available. Thank you to this year's participants. Check back in December 2020 to compete in next year's Celebration of Poetry!