What is SummerQuest (SQ)?
SummerQuest is York County Libraries’ version of a summer reading program–but it’s so much more! We offer kids and teens tons of ways to stay active in mind and body all summer long. We host free, fun activities that keep everyone learning, reading, and physically active from June to August. Each year, the theme and special events change.
Summer 2021 Accomplishments
This year, we had 5,109 preschoolers, children, and teens register and 1,884 readers completed the 800-minute challenge goal!
The total number of minutes logged this summer by all participants was 3,379,770 minutes.
SummerQuest 2021: Tails & Tales
Health and safety is a priority for us. We all know things have been changing rapidly in recent months. For 2021, we’ve designed lots of programs that can be enjoyed outdoors, on-the-go, or whenever you like!
Our libraries have redesigned their summer activities and events, so there are a range of places you will find our SummerQuest activities. Use this guide to help you find the program or activity you’re looking for!
Get your Library Card
All children participating will need their own library cards to register. Sign up for your card online. Or stop by your local library to apply.
Join the Challenge & Track Your Minutes
Beanstack is a super-useful, super-easy app to record all your activities, events, and reading this summer. To win any of our big prizes, be sure to log your reading minutes!
Minutes can be counted for any of the following activities:
- Reading OR listening to a book, eBook, or audio book
- Attending library programs and events*
- Completing Activities on Beanstack*
- Taking on one of the GO York! walks*
*All of these activities count as 20 minutes each!
Get the App!
Returning Beanstack Users: Your accounts remain active from year to year. Using your login information, you can update your account and register for the current year’s SummerQuest program.
- May 16: Early online registration begins on Beanstack
- June 1: Begin recording minutes & logging GO York Hikes on Beanstack
- June 5: Virtual Kickoff Event
- RSVP Online to receive your Zoom details.
- August 15: Last day to log reading minutes to be eligible for York Revs first pitch
- August 22: Last day to log reading minutes in Beanstack
- August 22: 1pm 800-minute achievers’ parade at York revs game!
- UPDATE 8/24: The August 22 York Revolutions game was a rainout, with the Summer Readers Parade cancelled. Call the Box Office (717-801-4487) to exchange your tickets for another home game this season.
- August 28: Last day to log GO York parks online and earn entries into the grand prize drawing
View our SummerQuest 2021 Newspaper
The SummerQuest newspaper is the ultimate guide to all the upcoming programs and events happening this summer. Click the box below to view the newspaper in full screen. While you’re reading, feel free to click any event or program name to view the event page on our website.
Downloadable Program Schedules
Click any of the links below to view and download your own copy of the SummerQuest program guide. Explore the page and click the names of the events to view it on our website!
Printable Activity Sheets
Every year, we add a variety of activities to our SummerQuest challenges on Beanstack. This year, we created printable pages of these activities so you can keep track by pen and paper! Don’t forget to also log it in the Beanstack app to earn your virtual badges.
Tails & Tales
- Tails & Tales Activity for Ages 0-5
- Tails & Tales Activity for Ages 6-12
- Tails & Tales Activity for Adults
- Activities for Scouts
- Activity Badges for Teens
Animal Adventures (Ages 0-12)
Stream & Attend Events
Our libraries have a wide variety of events planned all summer long! Check out the different programs you can attend both virtually, in-person, or online when you want!
Recurring Events on Zoom
All Zoom events require RSVP. Click the event name to reserve your spot!
- Tuesdays at 10 am: Live Baby & Toddler Time
- Wednesdays at 4 pm: Junior Chef Creations (ages 6+)
- Thursdays at 10 am: Special Event & Guests
- Selected Fridays June & July at 10am: Leap into Science
- Fridays at 10am: Mini Chef Mornings (ages 6 and under)
- Saturdays at 10 am: Saturday Baking
Free Youtube Videos
New Digital Story Times premiere on our YouTube channel each Wednesday! In addition, our libraries will be sharing new videos all summer long.
Make sure to subscribe to our free channel to get notified of new videos!
Programs for Teens
There are plenty of things happening this summer just for teens! For the full list, view our Teen Program Schedule. A few of the highlights include:
- Meet Netflix Animator, Michael Greenholt on Zoom: July 27
- Meet Local Author Jared Reck on Zoom: August 3
- Virtual Escape Room on Zoom: June 15
- Make & Take Tiny Art: Premiering on Youtube June 22
- Join York County Libraries’ Teen Discord!
- Instagram Challenges: Teen Hiking Challenge & Photo Contest
Prizes will be available for pickup all summer long! As you log minutes, you earn new prizes.
You’ll start off with your Registration Prize, which will get you started collecting our specially designed Brag Tags, just the right size to hook on your backpack or hang in your locker! Can you collect all of them this summer?
York County Libraries are offering raffle prizes at each library. Simply log your minutes to be eligible for these prizes!
Get Outdoors York (GO York!)
We’re partnering with Wellspan Health and GO York! again to get everyone up and moving. GO York! is hiding special carvings in different state, county, and local parks. Participants will get a sheet to collect rubbings of them. You can keep your rubbing sheet this year! Just be sure to log the special code in your Beanstack account to get credit for finishing the hike. The codes are found with the GO York! posts.
Can you collect all 30 before the summer is through? Follow the directions in the GO York booklet to find each rubbing.
After you find a park’s post, be sure to log it in the “GO and Chase your Tale” activity challenge on Beanstack to gain more entries into the GO York Grand Prize Drawing!
Drawing Winners: GO York winners will be contacted after September 7,2021.
Thank you to our partners!
Annually, many local businesses donate prizes and offer financial support to York County Libraries’ SummerQuest. They help us encourage kids to keep reading and to stay active over the summer months.
Thank yous are due to the generous support of our Platinum Level Partner, The York Water Company. Additional support is offered by our partners WellSpan Health and The GIANT Company.
Their generous support allows us to offer SummerQuest programs free of cost to participants.