YOUR library already achieved a Bronze Star as well as 5 Silver Stars. We are now in the process of seeking our GOLD STAR. It will be an achievement that all the staff are PROUD to accomplish. You may wonder what PA Forward is and why the star system. PA Forward was established by Pennsylvania Library Association to let the public and our officials know about everything that the Libraries are providing to their communities. Our materials and our programs serve families via The Five Literacies:
- Basic Literacy – Libraries can push Pennsylvania to achieve one of the highest literacy rates in the country, a trained and skilled workforce, and a growing economy, tax base, and population.
- Information Literacy – Libraries can help all Pennsylvanians learn how to use online resources and current technology to improve their education, to enhance their job skills, to develop their personal lives, and to fully participate in a digital society.
- Civic and Social Literacy – Libraries can play an important role in helping citizens have the knowledge and skills they need to improve their lives, to participate and contribute effectively to their community, government, and society, and to connect with one another through discourse.
- Health Literacy – Libraries can play an important role in helping citizens manage their own and their family’s well-being and empower them to be effective partners with their healthcare providers, so they can live longer, more productive lives.
- Financial Literacy – Libraries can help citizens become informed consumers and guide individuals, small businesses, and other organizations to contribute to the economic vitality of their community through innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic development.
Some of our programs fall into more than one of these Literacies. We are fortunate that PA Forward has secured numerous business partners willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Saturday, June 15 Tyler Lerman, Certified Financial Planner from Janney Montgomery Scott presents: It’s Never Too Early To Prepare for Retirement. This session is just one example of the FREE access to valuable knowledge that your library offers.
Perhaps you have been tracking Collinsville’s progress on the way to a GOLD STAR, maybe not. Either way, take a moment to cheer them on as they strive to serve their community and help everyone achieve their dreams. You can find out more about PA Forward by asking Ellen or visit www.paforward.com.