On Saturday November 12th, York County Libraries presented the Annual Goal Celebration Event at the Dover Community Center in Dover, PA. All first-grade students in York County, Pennsylvania were invited to join in celebrating signing up for their first library card and beginning their library journey! There were 100 attendees!
At the event, local author Anthony Fredericks gained adoring fans, young and not so young, during his engaging storytelling. His dynamic presentation even got the adults to join in the fun of “wiggling” along with the stories! He autographed copies of his book Tall, Tall Tree and encouraged all the first-graders to keep reading.
Thank you, Anthony Fredericks, for being our GOAL featured author for the past three years! It has been delightful to have you share your love of storytelling!
Kicking It with DownTown:
At 11 am there was a special appearance from the York Revolution’s DownTown. The students shared joy in being able to “kick it” with DownTown. He played goalie at the soccer station, while students tried to score on him! Special thanks to Dover United Soccer for the use of their soccer goal.
In addition to these exciting highlights, the students were able to rotate through many different activity stations, earning stamps for raffle prizes generously donated by the York Revolution. One winner received a certificate for “First Pitch” for the 2023-2024 season. The other winner received a certificate for six tickets for next season! We’re sure these students and their families will have a great time cheering the Revolution on!
There were a total of 40 classrooms in York County with 100% participation—amazing! Thank you to all of our York County teachers for helping instill a love of literacy in children. You truly make a difference!
Teachers who participated in the GOAL program had their own special raffle prizes. The winners are:
- Author classroom visit by Anthony Fredericks
- Kristin Martinak at Friendship Elementary of Southern York School District
- ZooAmerica classroom visit
- Lindsey Ryer at Fawn Elementary of South Eastern School District
- 20 books for the classroom library
- Heather Cole at Baresville Elementary of South Western School District
- Jeffrey Ketterman at York Haven Elementary of Northeastern School District
- Mary Deter at Southern Elementary of Southern York School District
- Megan Gibbs at Leaders Heights Elementary of Dallastown School District
- April Milesky at Yorkshire Elementary of York Suburban School District
Thank you to everyone who helped make this event and initiative possible! We appreciate all the families, students, teachers and community partners that help keep children’s literacy moving forward in York County.
Special thanks to the York Revolution and DownTown for bringing smiles to the children’s faces, and to Dover United Soccer for their generous loan of the soccer equipment.