Project Erases Late Fees and Hunger
York County Libraries want to make a trade with library members who have late fees. YCL will reduce a library cardholder’s late fees by one dollar for each non-perishable item he or she donates at the library. The food drive provides members with a way to erase their late fees and help feed hungry community members at the same time. Food collected will be distributed to area food banks and organizations across York County.
Libraries are so important in the lives of our community members. Providing a child, a family or an individual access to all the resources available at the library is extremely important to us. – Mina Edmondson, Martin Library Director
Program Runs May 1 to 31st
The Food for Fines program runs the entire month of May during regular operating hours at each of the 13 York County Libraries.
Here’s What You Need to Know
- All food donations should be non-perishable items in cans, boxes, bags, or pouches.
- The libraries will not accept out-of-date food, dented or rusted cans.
- The program applies to late fees only and does not credit to items that have been lost.
Here are a few things that members have donated in the past:
- Cereal, Oatmeal
- Soup, Stew
- Beets, Corn, Potatoes, etc.
- Macaroni and Cheese, Spaghetti Noodles, Pasta
- Spaghetti Sauce, Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce, Pizza Sauce
- Juice, Tea
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Meat: Tuna, Chicken, Salmon
Where the Food Goes
Food will be collected at the following locations, and donated to the local food pantries indicated:
- Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock – The Well
- Collinsville Community Library — Mason-Dixon Community Service, Delta
- Dillsburg Area Public Library — New Hope Ministries, Dillsburg
- Dover Area Community Library — New Hope Ministries: Dover Food Bank, Dover
- Glatfelter Memorial Library — Harvest of Hope, York
- Guthrie Memorial Library – New Hope Ministries, Hanover
- Kaltreider-Benfer Library – Red Lion Area Community Services & Emmanuel’s Closet, Dallastown
- Kreutz Creek Library – Eastern York Food Pantry, Wrightsville
- Martin Library – Catholic Harvest Food Pantry, York
- Mason-Dixon Public Library — Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Red Land Community Library — Red Cap Food Ministry, Lewisberry
- Paul Smith Library of Southern York County — Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Village Library — Christ United Methodist Church Food Pantry of Jacobus