Jazz Story Time: a STEAM event @ your library
Reading specialist Lisa Schmittle, will be teaching a Jazz Story Time in July as part of SummerQuest: Libraries Rock! She offers families a fun and educational story experience based on the picture book “Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band” by Kwame Alexander. She combines Alexander’s jazz story with foundational art and math (STEAM) concepts related to this summer’s musical theme. This special Story Time is geared toward families with children ages 4-12. It is free to attend the program and no registration is required to jam with Miss Lisa at a local library.
Would you like to learn teaching techniques to use at home?
Lisa graduated from Shippensburg University with a Master of Education as a Reading Specialist. She spent 12 years educating in schools before coming to YCL. Miss Lisa has been designing and implementing high-quality early childhood educational programming with us since 2005. In this summer’s Story Time, Miss Lisa will be introducing participants to the world of jazz. All the while, modeling fun teaching techniques adults can use at home with their children.
“I think it’s important that children and parents know that we can all learn something from picture books,” says Schmittle. “Not only are they fun to read but many are educational as well.”
How can libraries help keep my kids learning over the summer?
“During the summer, Miss Lisa expands her Story Time lessons to appeal to the whole family,” says York County Libraries Youth Services Director Paula Gilbert. “By weaving foundational STEAM concepts into the story experience, Lisa is able to spark the interest of children to help parents keep them engaged in reading and learning over the summer. York County Libraries provide families with fun, dynamic summer experiences in a special, yet familiar place: the library. And of course, we can recommend great books for children of all ages to read.”
Schmittle teaches her special Jazz Story Time on the following dates and times:
- Friday, July 6, 10:15 am to 11:00 am in Hanover at Guthrie Library
- Tuesday, July 10, 10:15 am to 11:00 am in Red Lion at Kaltreider-Benfer Library
- Tuesday, July 10, 11:15 am to 12:00 pm in Red Lion at Kaltreider-Benfer Library
- Wednesday, July 11, 10:30 am to 11:30 am in Brogue at Collinsville Community Library
- Thursday, July 12, 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm in Spring Grove at Glatfelter Memorial Library
- Monday, July 16, 10:30 am to 11:30 am Stewartstown at Mason-Dixon Public Library
- Wednesday, July 18, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm at Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock
- Friday, July 20, 10:30 am to 11:30 am in Hellam at Kreutz Creek Library
Links of Interest
Other summer STEAM events