What is Health Literacy?
Health Literacy is the knowledge and ability to manage your own health and wellness.
Why does Health Literacy Matter? (statistics taken from www.paforward.org)
- Nearly half of all adults have difficulty understanding and using health information.
- Far more people look for health information online than see a doctor on a typical day.
- Nothing – not age, income, employment status, education level, or racial and ethnic background – affects health status more than literacy skills.
- Populations most likely to suffer from low health literacy include those age 65 and over, minorities, immigrant populations, and Medicare/Medicaid recipients.
- Forty-six percent of American adults cannot understand the label on their prescription medicine.
How does the Library support Health Literacy?
- Health workshops
- Wellness programs
- A variety of print materials on health, wellness, and fitness topics.