What is SummerQuest (SQ)?
SummerQuest is York County Libraries’ version of a summer reading program–but it’s so much more! We offer kids and teens tons of ways to stay active in mind and body all summer long. We host free, fun activities that keep everyone learning, reading, and physically active from June to August. Each year, the theme and special events change.
SummerQuest 2020 Changes
While the library doors may be closed, York County Libraries are still working hard to provide entertaining and enriching activities to keep your family active all summer long! Since we are not able to host in-person events, we’ve adapted a variety of events for live streaming or on-demand viewing, plus some fun downloadable activities.
This page will be updated all summer long, so be sure to check back often for updates!
We hope to see you in person soon, but in the meantime, visit us online and have a safe and fun summer!
Get your Library Card
- May 17: Early online registration begins on Beanstack
- May 30: Begin recording minutes
- May 30: Virtual Kickoff Concert with Stephen Courtney!
- RSVP Online to receive your Zoom details.
- July 1: GO York! Hikes Open; Begin logging hikes on Beanstack
- July: Mid-Summer Virtual Celebration
- More details coming soon!
- August 16: Last day to log reading minutes in Beanstack
- Logged minutes after this date will not count toward prizes or virtual badges.
- September 1: Last day to log GO York parks online and earn entries into the grand prize drawing
View our SummerQuest 2020 Newspaper
The SummerQuest 2020 Newspaper is coming soon! Check back to see the full newspaper.
Countywide Online Programs
As our libraries have adapted their summer activities and events to online settings, there are a range of places you will find our SummerQuest activities. Use this guide to help you find the program or activity you’re looking for!
Live Streaming Events
Watch LIVE programs securely through Zoom! Click on the names of the programs below to RSVP for an upcoming session!
Please Note: All live stream events require RSVP by registering through the event calendar.
- Leap into Science | Grades K-5
- Ryan the BugMan | Ages 5+
- Storyteller Beth Rebert | Geared for Ages 3-12
- Girl Scout STEAM Mobile | All Ages
- Girls Go STEAM Summer Spectacular | Grades K-5 & 6-12
- Mini Chef Creations by GIANT | Ages 3-12
- Teen Story Slam | Ages 13-18
- VidCode | Ages 12-18
- Premiering on York County Libraries’ Facebook
- Premiering on your library’s Facebook
- Available to watch & download online
- At-Home Crafts: Geared for Ages 3-5 & 6-10
- New Crafts each Monday
- At-Home Crafts: Geared for Ages 3-5 & 6-10
Online Activities & Challenges
- Master Watershed Stewards: Ages 6+
- SummerQuest Scavengers on Facebook
- Activity Challenges on Beanstack
Track Your Minutes
To win any of our big prizes, be sure to log your reading minutes! You can download a printable tracking sheet (2020 printable sheet coming soon) or log your minutes in our digital tracking service, Beanstack. (Mobile App also available for Apple and Android)
Need help using Beanstack? View our Beanstack Tips and Tricks page for helpful tutorials and guides.
Minutes can be counted for any of the following activities:
- Reading/listening to a book, eBook, or audio book
- Attending library programs and events*
- Completing Activities on Beanstack*
- Taking on one of the GO York! walks*
*All of these activities count as 20 minutes each!
This year’s prizes will be unveiled soon!
Prize distribution may be modified this year due to library closures. More information is coming soon.
Scouts of all types: there’s something extra for you this summer. Any Scout who completes the following tasks will get a special patch commemorating your summer!
Your ‘Imagine Your Story’ Quest:
- Read and log 800 minutes on Beanstack
- Complete at least six activities from the Scouts Activity Challenge on Beanstack.
- Walk and log at least 10 of the 30 GO York! walks
GO York! Starts July 1
GO York! 2020 will begin on July 1, and end on September 1, 2020. The ‘GO and Find Your Story’ Activity Challenge will be available on Beanstack during this time.
We’re partnering with GO York! again to get everyone up and moving. GO York! is hiding special carvings in different state, county, and local parks. Participants will get a sheet to collect rubbings of them.
Can you collect all 30 before the summer is through? Follow the directions in the GO York booklet to find each rubbing. After you find a park’s post, be sure to log it in the “GO and Find Your Story” activity challenge on Beanstack to gain more entries into the GO York Grand Prize Drawing!