Developing a stronger community through reading
Join the Conversation!
Each year since 2004 York County Libraries joins public libraries throughout the Central Pennsylvania region along with five Harrisburg Area Community College campuses, Penn State York, York College of Pennsylvania, and community partners to select a title.
The regional reading campaign One Book, One Community: Our Region Reads promotes the value of reading by recommending a compelling book that links the community in a common conversation. One Book programs encourage dialogue and foster lifelong learning and a strong community identity.
Who can participate in One Book, One Community?
Older teens and adults are welcome to participate!
When is the new book available to read?
Reading begins in January and book discussions and related events are held at libraries, colleges, and partner bookstores throughout the winter and spring.
Where can I purchase/borrow the book?
Visit the One Book, One Community website for a full list of participating libraries and stores.
Who picks the books?
A selection committee made up of community members representing all participating counties reviews books based on broad criteria that include:
- A major author with a body of work, or an author who has received lasting literary recognition
- An author or recognized experts on the author who would be willing to engage in discussion with readers at several events
- A book that is easily discussed
- A book that is available in large quantities at a reasonable cost and in various media formats (paperback, large print, audio, or video)
- A book that is accessible to emerging adult readers up to a high school reading level
One Book, Your Vote
The selection committee narrows the list to 3-5 finalists that are then sent to the regional steering committee to plan for a public vote during the month of August each year.
The public can vote online, or in participating libraries. The selected title is announced in October and reading begins in January. Readers may send book suggestions throughout the year to [email protected].
The 2021 title selection will be announced on December 1. Please visit the OBOC website for updates!