Quarterly information for you and your students!
Featured Program: SummerQuest
Recommended for Ages: Birth – 18
Cost: Free with York County Libraries Card. Get a card today!
When: June 1-August 18
SummerQuest keeps students learning, reading, and physically active from June to August.
This year, we are exploring A Universe of Stories!
York County Libraries are excited to kick off the 2019 SummerQuest Program on Saturday, June 1, from 10 am – noon. Our kick-off celebrations will occur in three separate locations:
- Dover Township Community Center (Dover, PA)
- Richard M. Nixon County Park (York, PA)
- Guthrie Memorial Library (Hanover, PA)
A few of this summer’s highlights are:
- Achieve 200 minutes or more and get a ticket to a July 13 planetarium show at the York Learning Center!
- GO York is hiding special carvings in different state, county, and local parks. Participants will get a sheet to collect rubbings of them. Can you get them all?
- Scouts of all types can earn a special patch commemorating the summer!
- The top achiever (over age 5) gets to throw the first pitch at the York Revolution game on August 18. But you’ll be delivered to the pitcher’s mound… BY HELICOPTER!
- Also, each library will randomly select one of their 800+ minute achievers (over age 5) to win a FREE helicopter ride with winners from other YCL libraries on Saturday, August 17, 2019.
Click here for more information on a summer you don’t want to miss!
Getting ready for SummerQuest? Mark your calendars for these important dates!
- May 19: Early Online Registration begins.
- Visit our SummerQuest page for more information about registration.
- June 1 | 10:00am- 12:00pm: SummerQuest Kick-Off Events will be held at:
- June – August: Additional Events can be found on our SummerQuest 2019 page.
This incredibly engaging resource for grades PreK-3 will help early readers develop and practice essential reading skills as well as introduce students to a world of knowledge and exploration.
Help children build reading and comprehension skills in English or Spanish through BookFLIX. BookFLIX pairs classic animated storybooks, related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic, and learning games and activities to build a love of reading and learning.
Click here to start the fun!
Interested in discovering more digital resources? View other resources below, and on our For Researchers page.
Learn more about SummerQuest and anything else that YCL has to offer through our News page that features short, yet informative blogs for everyone.
Some of our recent blogs include topics surrounding:
- Martin Library Honors Committee’s spring Honoree Paula Gilbert
- Trading Food for Overdue Fines
- YCL Announces Big Changes
Look for your next Insight for Educators in August. Our highlighted program will feature Grade One At the Library (GOAL).
Interested in finding more programs and events? Check out our calendar for events happening across the county!
More Digital Resources for Educators
- Power Library: Free database service through the Commonwealth of Libraries with access to current magazines & journals, data access, research tools, and materials that can be incorporated into the classroom
- Ask Here, PA: Offers a 24/7 Chat with a live librarian to check facts, develop resources, and identify new and exciting resources for your students.
- TrueFlix & BookFlix: Programs to help children build reading and comprehension skills in English or Spanish
- Axis360 & Hoopla: Apps and website-based-services provided through York County Libraries to explore the digital collection of books, movies, videos, and educational pieces.These can be used to enrich a classroom experience.
York County Libraries also have hands-on items that educators may check out to use to introduce children to technology. Different kits are available in each library. Ask about them when you visit your favorite location, or search our catalog to locate one in the county.
Visit our ‘For Researchers‘ page to access all other digital services.